Pilot-Ray lights on Ray Belsito's 1931 Stutz Bearcat, Webster, MA
More Pilot-Ray pictures at http://imageevent.com/powerwagon/pilotrayPilot-Ray reproduction lights by Don Sommer
Pilot-Ray on eBay
In the mid-1920's, the "Pilot Ray" headlight system was invented, being a mechanical linkage between the headlights and the steering system, allowing headlights to be turned with the front wheels (not a bad idea in the days of twisting rural roads), but not all states permitted the primary headlights to be movable, so Pilot Ray became an auxilliary driving light setup, those smaller headlights seen on luxury cars, mounted low on the frame horns or bumper brackets. The 1948 Tucker was the last American car to offer a "steerable" headlight, the middle "cyclops" unit, but that was to be deleted on cars shipped to states not permitting them.
Last Updated On : 04/26/2017Email [email protected]